From Little Dean to Enoggera compiled by Joy Whaite
Chapter Pictures
Front bits one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen fifteensixteenseventeen end bits




Beryl and Ted on Bery's 74th birthday taken 1989 at Auchenflower

Ted and Beryl Bailey's family taken about 1956. From left: Joyce, Walter, Desmound, Beryl, Ted (at rear), Janet at front, Elaine and Heather.

Taken on Ted and Beryl Bailey's 50th wedding anniversary June 1988 - only 4 grandchildren are missing.

From left: Ross and Joyce Dando, Ted and Beryl Bailey, taken at Lawson November 1987.

Lily must have found it quite a luxury to have had her last baby Edward Anselm in a maternity ward, with the staff at Lady Bowen Hospital to look after her and baby Edward. His first name was after Edward, Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII) and his second after Walter's brother Anselm, who lived in New Zealand. In his young days he was called "Eddie" and later "Ted" and he is the last of a line of family members bearing the name of Anselm. They have been traced back to the Gloucestershire parish of Wheatenhurst in 1573, though there are records as early as 1560 of an Auncell Bayly in the nearby parish of Elmore who was probably a relation, though so far the connection has not been found.

After his brother Dan enlisted there was no one left to help Walter and Lily in the workshop so Ted was probably shown how to blow the bellows for the forge at a very early age. The family finances were always in quite a perilous state, so he and Joe had to earn a few shillings wherever and whenever they could. The local school used to publish the Enoggera News which sold for a penny a copy and Ted and the other pupils would get one penny for each dozen copies they managed to sell.

Weeding carrots for a local farmer was another source of income and Ted would collect all the ones with broken tops, until he had a sackful, and sell them at the local market for two shillings. Once when a nearby bridge was flooded, Ted dashed into the water and collected a great heap of watermelons that had been washed down the creek and keeping a few for the family, sold off all the good ones. As he grew older he would fill his billy cart with split firewood, which took all his spare time for the week and sell it to the local fuel merchant for a couple of shillings - Ted suspected that the latter resold it for at least twice what he paid Ted. When there were no other chores to be done, Ted would go around scrounging anything he could pick up to feed the wether goats the family kept to bring back their household water and their tethers had to be changed often, so they would not get into the vege garden.

When Ted was actually attending school was probably the only time he ever had to himself. Even after school, he would come home and lend a hand in the workshop turning out the axles for Walter's wheels and if there was no money to buy petrol to run the machines, they all had to be turned by hand. Often it was 8.30 p.m. before he had finished and then he had to go inside to have his tea and try to get his homework done before he went to bed.

Sometime around 1923 Jane bought Ted a box Brownie camera for eleven shillings and threepence, and with it he took a lot of family photos and many more when his nieces Joy and Mary visited the family at Enoggera with their mother and father around 1928. He was still at school then and delighted in playing practical jokes. One that Mary remembers we did not like at all - Ted had made up a set of wires, so he could connect them to a battery and in all innocence Mary and I held them tight in our hands. As soon as Ted made the connection we got quite a physical and electrical shock, which made us very wary of our uncle for the rest of our visit.

Much to Ted's regret, Walter insisted that he leave school when he was l4, so he could take over production of the wheels and as the Depression deepened, Ted and sometimes Joe had to try to sell them in Brisbane. Eventually in 1923 when he was 17 Ted managed to get a job as a labourer washing milk bottles at Metro Milk Supply at South Brisbane for twenty eight shillings and three pence per week. From his wages, Ted paid one penny for income tax, five shillings for his tram fare and twenty shillings a week to Jane for his board, leaving Ted the princely sum of three shillings and two pence to keep for himself. In February 1934, when Ted turned 18, Metro Milk would have had to pay him thirty shillings and one penny per week, so, to save an extra one shilling and tendance per week, they dismissed Ted and employed another younger man.

When the job finished, there was not enough money to keep Ted at home, so around l934 like hundreds of others, he left home and started humping his bluey. Ted says that on the track he met solicitors, bank tellers, doctors, dentists engineers and many other professional people and tradesmen - they were all in the same boat. At one time he even spent some time with a nephew of George Henry Porter who was Registrar General of Queensland at that time. Whilst looking for work, all the men received six shillings a week in the form of a ration ticket, which could be presented at a grocery store and exchanged for food. No one was allowed to stay more than two weeks in the one place to try to get work and they had to move somewhere else before getting their next ticket.

Ted came back to Brisbane in mid 1934 and found Lily in Brisbane General Hospital after another bout of influenza. He went to see her and they shared a pawpaw (which was Lily's favourite fruit) before he said goodbye. Ted went to stay overnight with a friend before he used his pass to go to Caboolture and start in his new job at five shillings per week but had only just got there when he received a telegram to say that Lily had died in her sleep on the last day of June.

Sometimes when he was in Brisbane,Ted stayed at Polly and Walter Gordon's holiday shack at Cribb Island, but later Ted went back on the track. Just occasionally, he would get a job on a dairy farm for ten shillings a week, plus keep, going back on the dole when each job ran out. Ted came home for Christmas 1935 and on into New Year, but he left Brisbane again and it was not until he returned late in 1936 and arrived at Thomas Street that he heard from Emily of his father's death in March of that year.

After staying with John and Emily for a while it was back on the track again and up to northern Queensland, where he got a job on a farm owned by his future wife's uncle at Gracemere near Rockhampton.

Ted first met Beryl in 1936 and they were married at Mackay, in 1938 with Ted still on the dole. Their first daughter Joyce was born in Rockhampton in 1939 and a son Walter in 1941, just before Ted got a job with the mines at Mt Morgan, driving a steam shovel. While he was working there, Ted got his Steam and Electrical Crane Drivers tickets and then went on to get five more tickets during his working years. Janet was born in 1943 and about 1945 the family went to live with Fanny and Rhiny on their farm at Teviotville. For a short time in 1946 the family lived at Goodna and then Gumdale where Desmond was born. Ted had a job with Brisbane City Council but he had problems with worn out shoulder sockets from shovelling coal at Mt Morgan so he had to leave after three months. Some time in 1947 the family were living with Albert in his house at Kenwyn Street Red Hill but in 1948 they were back at Gumdale. In 195O Ted and Beryl moved to Boondall where Beryl had Elaine and her last child Heather in 1952.

A year later they moved to Zillmere just a few miles away and sometime in 1954 the family took up dairying at Redbank Plains, west of Goodna. After the bad drought in 1960, the dairy went broke, so the family had to leave and moved closer to Brisbane to a house in Graceville Avenue Graceville in 1961 and Ted got various jobs around Brisbane for the next few years.

About 1967 Ted bought a wholesale sweet and novelty business travelling all up and down the Queensland coast, but in 1970 the business failed and the only job he could find was as a Crane Driver for the construction firm of Hornibrooks, who were building a big jetty at Kieta on the Pacific island of Bougainville in preparation for the opening of a big copper mine there- while he was away the family lived at Graceville. With all their children married Ted and Beryl went to live at Holland Park until 1977, when Ted got a job as a boiler attendant at Rockhampton abattoirs. While they were there Ted built a caravan on the back of a Toyota diesel truck. When Ted retired in 1981, they drove down to the farm at Flagstone Park, where Janet and Alan lived, towing another caravan, which was left behind when they started travelling around Australia.

It was while they were at Adelaide that they heard indirectly about the whereabouts of one of their nieces, which led, early in 1984 to their re-union with Daniel's branch of the family, with whom the people in Brisbane had lost touch many years before. It was this reunion and the many stories Ted told about his early life that led to the writing of this book.

Around Christmas 1985 Ted fell and hurt his shoulder, and he could no longer drive, so he and Beryl moved back to Brisbane to live. They had the ground floor flat in a large house at Auchenflower, near the railway station. Ted maintains the grounds of the house and does the cleaning in nearby units and in between he grows all the veges he needs for his diet. Beryl had always been the photographer of the family and there is a big collection of albums holding the photos she had taken of family and friends over many years. Sadly, after being in poor health and having had heart problems for the last few years Beryl had a heart attack and died on 23 January, 1993.

Joyce their eldest daughter started her education at Mt Morgan which was the first of many schools she attended as the family moved around. The next school was at Teviotville, then Goodna, Gumdale, Ithaca and Gannon Hill ending with three years back at Goodna. Joyce left school in 1952 when she was 13 to help Beryl, and in 1953 got a job with a florist, and then went back to help with the dairy, before starting her nursing career in 1958. Moving to Sydney, she met Ross Dando and in 1962 they were married at Leura NSW Blue Mountains by a marriage celebrant at Ross's family home at Megalong Street, Leura. Ross has worked for Telecom for many years and they have their home at Lawson where they had 2 children and now they have four grandchildren. Their daughter Nora and her husband who is an air conditioning and refrigeration electrician have just built a new house at Hazelbrook near Joyce and Ross.

In the same year l962, in May, Joyce's sister Janet married Alan Stocker, who was working with Brisbane City Council. At the end of 1963 they bought a farm at Flagstone Creek, near Toowoomba and went there to live. They have five children and two grandchildren and in later years, they subdivided the farm, keeping a small block for themselves. Sadly Janet now has problems with her back, so Alan has given up farming to look after her.

September of 1962 saw the eldest son Walter married to Ann Walsh in Brisbane, where Walter works with Brisbane City Council driving all types of earthmoving equipment. They have 3 children and their son Darrell's wedding to Roslyn Smith in November 1990 at Christadelphian meeting house at Cooperoo was the latest in the family.

It was in January 1968 that Elaine left the family to marry Peter Munko in Brisbane. Peter was an electrician and they went to live at Stacks Creek where they had three children. Sadly Ted and Beryl suddenly lost their daughter and grandson Thor in 1982. Their car ran off the road only a mile from home when returning from a Christmas party and both occupants were killed. Peter has since re-married.

Desmond married Barbara Mercuri in March 1969 and they have two children. He finished his apprenticeship at Evans Deakin workshop as a fitter and turner and is now designing laboratory equipment for CSIRO and the family live at Tanah Mera near Slacks Creek.

Ted and Beryl's youngest daughter Heather went to work in Sydney and there she met Neil Swinbourne who was a cartographer with NSW Lands Department. They were married in Brisbane in December 1972 and they returned to Lawson, where Neil had lived. Their first child was born at Katoomba NSW and then they went to live at Forbes and Heather had their second child in Broken Hill and a third back in Brisbane. They bought one of the blocks on Janet and Alan's farm but sadly Heather lost her husband from cancer in November 1986 after an eighteen months illness. Heather now works full time in a craft shop in Toowoomba and designs specialty fabrics, while her eldest son Ian is studying at Forestry Commission at Gatton.

All places mentioned in the genealogy that follows are, unless otherwise noted, around Brisbane (Bris) or in Queensland

16/[8.8] Edward Anselm BAILEY b 4 Feb 1916 Bris m 4 Jun 1938 Mackay Beryl (Johnson) b 19 Feb 1915 Rockhampton d 23 Jan 1993 Bris

First Generation

16.1 Joyce Lillian Beryl b 2 Mar 1939 Rockhampton m 21 Apr 1962 Leura NSW Edward Ross DANDO b 17 Jun 1938 Cessnock NSW

16.2 Walter Edward Joseph b 23 Jul 1941 Rockhampton m 1 Sep 1962Bris Ann (Walsh) b 6 Sep 1940 Taroom

16.3 Janet Rose b 16 May 1943 Mt.Morgan m 3l May 1962 Bris Alan Thomas STOCKER b 29 Oct?1936 England

16.4 Desmond Elmer b 29 Jul 1946 Bris m 8 Mar 1969 Bris Barbara (Mercuri) b 8 Mar 1948

16.5 Elaine Margaret b 9 Jul 1950 Bris d 18 Dec 1982 Bris m 5 Jan 1968 Bris Peter MUNKO b 8 May l947 Denmark.

Peter MUNKO m 22 Sep 1990 Bris Annie (Medina)

16.6 Heather Valmai b 13 Dec 1952 Bris m 9 Sep 1972 Bris Neil Robert SWINBOURNE b 5 May 1951 Toorak Vic d 8 Nov 1986Bris

Second Generation

[16.1] Family of Joyce Lillian Beryl (Bailey) and Ross DANDO

All births Katoomba NSW

16.7 Edward Richard b 23 Apr 1963 m 2 Nov 1985 Bris D'Anne Gay (Bateman) b 23 Jun 1966 Bris

16.8 Nora Joyce b 17 Jun 1966 m 14 Sep 1987 Windsor NSW Lee William MATTHEWSON b 14 Mar 1966 Nepean District Hospital Penrith NSW

[16.2] Family of Walter Edward Joseph BAILEY and Ann (Walsh)

All births Bris

l6.9 Darrell Glen b l Dec 1967 m 3 Nov 1990 Cooperoo Roslyn (Smith) b 24 Nov 1968

16.10 Adrian Dale b 11 Mar 1970

16.11 Linda Patsy b 25 Jan 1974

[16.3] Family of Janet Rose (Bailey) and Alan Thomas STOCKER

16.12 Steven Peter Bailey later Stocker b 20 Feb 1961 Ipswich then adopted m 9 May 1980 Toowoomba Bronwyn (Symons) b 24 Dec 1963 div

16.13 Samuel Edward b 30 Mar 1963 Bris

16.14 Rachael Jane b 6 Jan 1965 Bris

16.15 Nathan Alan b 7 Dec 1967 Bris

16.16 Rose-Leah Beryl b 28 Aug 1974 Gatton

[16.4] Family of Desmond Elmer BAILEY and Barbara (Mercuri)

All births Brisbane

l6.17 Michael Donovan b 5 Jun 1974

16.18 Melissa Anna b 2l Sep 1977

[16.5] Family of Elaine Margaret (Bailey) and Peter MUNKO

All births Brisbane

l6.19 Kerry-Ann b 3l Jul 1969

16.20 Cheryl Lea b 15 Mar 1972

16.21 Thor Amos b 28 Nov 1974 d 18 Dec 1982 NO ISSUE

[16.6] Family of Heather Valmai (Bailey) and Neil Robert SWINBOURNE

16.22 Ian Robert b 18 Nov 1974 Katoomba NSW

16.23 Sharon Joy b 21 Oct 1976 Broken Hill NSW

16.24 Kristy Jan b 6 Jun 1979 Bris

Third Generation

[16.7] Family of Edward Richard DANDO and D'anne Gay (Bateman)

l6.25 Rhys Edward b 11 Sep 1991 Mater Mothers Hospital Bris

16.26 Justin Brian b 4 Jan 1994 Mater Mothers Hospital Bris

[16.8] Family of Nora Joyce (Dando) and Lee William MATTHEWSON

l6.27 Jeremy b 27 Mar 1990 Penrith NSW

16.28 Rachelle b 22 Sep 1993 Jamieson Private Hospital Penrith NSW

[16.12] Family of Steven Peter STOCKER and Bronwyn (Symons)

16.29 Corinne Amy b 7 Oct 1980 Gatton

16.30 Peter Samuel b 6 Aug 1984 Toowoomba


16/[8.8] Beryl (Johnson)

Father Harry Elmer JOHNSON Mother Lily (Newman) b 30 Jun 1888 d 8 Sep 1984 Rockhampton

[16.1] Edward Ross DANDO

Father Edward DANDO Mother Nell (Gee)

[16.2] Ann (Walsh)

Father William WALSH Mother Justine (Holder)

[16.3] Alan Thomas STOCKER

Father Thomas STOCKER Mother Elsie (??)

[16.5] Peter MUNKO

Father Knud Taga MUNKO Mother Tova Krista (Hansen)

[16.6] Neil Ronald SWINBOURNE

Father Robert SWINBOURNE Mother Joyce (Galbraith)

[16.7] D'Anne Gay (Bateman)

Father Brian BATEMAN Mother Barbara (Wright)

[16.8] Lee William MATTHEWSON

Father Brian MATTHEWSON Mother Barbara (Claque)

[16.12] Bronwyn (Symons)

Father Ralph Bennet SYMONS d 23 Aug 1989 Mother Nancy Edith (Warrington-Kennedy)


Revised 2001